1. Smell your tuktuk or motodriver before hopping on - Silly right? But trust me this could save you from your potential 30 min ride from hell.
2. Dont be an asshole - Your color is not your power and your money isnt what defines you. Treat every traveler, especially every local, you meet with respect.
3. Know thy race - I am Lao when in laos, I am Vietnamese when in Vietnam and all other asian in between. It isnt so hard to say, hey where you from? Saves you from the embarassment.
4. Plan ahead but dont plan ahead - Same same but different? Yes. It helps to know where to go and when, but adventures really are all about spontinaiety. The no-plan plan really is everybody elses plan in the backpacker scene, and its a sure fire way to get your social thread whisking along.
5. See the worst - To the locals, it may not even the worst but the norm. Rooms without hot showers? Riding buses with one foot on the grave? Curbside cuisine made of snakes, frogs and what nots? After all the trips ive taken, my tolerance level is at its highest. Ive reached a certain level of content because of how things are in other worlds.